How to Save Money While Travelling Around Europe
Everything in this guide comes from my own travels around Europe and the things I wish I'd known before my first trip. Hopefully, these tips will help you avoid some common mistakes and make your budget stretch a little further.
Let's start with one of the biggest travel expenses for most people: getting there. Flights are often the first thing you'll book, and one of the easiest places to save money.
Book Your Flights in Advance
I genuinely can't stress this enough. If you know you're travelling, try to book your flights at least three months in advance. The longer you wait, the more expensive tickets usually become, especially during weekends, public holidays and peak travel seasons.
If you're a student, don't forget to check for student discounts. Many airlines offer them, but they're often overlooked. For example, Ryanair's Student Discount Programme (available with an ESN card) offers 10% off selected flights and one free checked bag on eligible bookings. It's definitely worth looking into if you're studying abroad or at university.
One thing to keep in mind with budget airlines is that the advertised ticket price is rarely the final price. Extras such as checked luggage, larger cabin bags, seat selection and priority boarding can quickly increase the total cost, so compare the final price not just the base fare before booking.
I also recommend comparing prices across multiple websites such as Skyscanner and Kayak before checking the airline's own website. It sounds obvious, but you'd be surprised how often prices differ.
If you can, try travelling with a cabin bag. Budget airlines make a significant amount of money through baggage fees, and travelling light can often save you £40 on a return trip. It also makes getting around Europe much easier, especially if you'll be using trains, metros and buses.
Travel During the Off-Season
Another tip is to travel during the off-season. In my opinion, it's one of the best ways to save money while also having a better overall experience.
Countries such as Italy, Spain and Italy can become incredibly hot during the summer months, to the point where sightseeing feels exhausting rather than enjoyable. Personally, I love travelling towards the end of August, throughout September or even into October. The weather is usually much more comfortable, the crowds are smaller, and flights and accommodation are often cheaper than during the peak summer season.
That said, if you're planning a beach holiday and your main goal is to spend your days by the sea, then travelling during the summer makes perfect sense. Just try to book as early as possible to secure the best prices and be prepared for larger crowds at popular destinations.
If your travel dates are flexible, it's also worth comparing prices across different weeks or even different days of the week. Shifting your trip by just a day or two can sometimes make a noticeable difference to the cost of flights and accommodation.
Travelling Around European Cities
Almost every European city offers some form of tourist travel pass, but whether it's worth buying depends entirely on your itinerary.
If you're planning to use public transport several times a day, a daily or multi-day pass can save you a surprising amount of money compared to buying individual tickets. On the other hand, if you're only visiting a couple of attractions within walking distance or spending most of your holiday relaxing on the beach, there's usually no need to buy one.
A good rule of thumb is this: the more you're moving around the city, the better value a travel pass becomes. Cities like Paris, Madrid and Rome often involve a lot of travelling between attractions, whereas smaller towns or beach destinations are much easier to explore on foot.
My Experience in Italy
Italy is probably the best example of where I felt a city pass genuinely saved me both money and time.
Many Italian city passes, whether it's for Rome, Milan or other major cities, include unlimited public transport alongside entry to one or more popular attractions. At first glance, they can seem expensive, especially when a single bus ticket only costs a couple of euros. I remember thinking, "Will I really use public transport enough to make this worth it?"
After visiting, my answer was yes.
If you're travelling during the summer, the afternoon heat can be exhausting. While Rome is definitely a walkable city, there were plenty of times when I was grateful to hop onto an air-conditioned bus or metro instead of walking another 20 or 30 minutes in the heat.
The pass also ended up saving me money in another unexpected way. Rome is incredibly busy during peak tourist season, and attraction tickets can sell out weeks in advance. I found that many official Colosseum tickets had already sold out, leaving only much more expensive third-party options. Because I already had the Roma Pass, I was still able to visit without paying those inflated reseller prices. That alone made the pass worthwhile for me.
Of course, everyone's trip is different. If you're planning a slower holiday where you'll spend most of your time in one neighbourhood or relaxing by the beach, you probably won't get your money's worth from a city pass. However, if your days are packed with museums, landmarks and sightseeing, I'd definitely recommend looking into one. It can save you money, reduce the stress of buying individual tickets, and make getting around the city much easier.
Outside of Italy, I also found transport passes to be well worth the money in Barcelona and Paris.
A Few Transport Tips
Research airport transport before you travel. Airport shuttle companies are convenient, but they're not always the cheapest option. Many airports have local buses or trains that connect the airport to the city centre for a fraction of the price. In Iceland, for example, I found the local public bus much cheaper than the Flybus while still getting me where I needed to go. We tend to naturally go for the airport one as it is right in front of us and feels easy.
Check whether airport travel is included in your pass. Some city transport passes include travel to and from the airport, while others don't. It's always worth checking before paying separately.
Don't forget about buses. Most tourists head straight for the metro, but buses often stop much closer to attractions and let you enjoy the city while you're travelling.
Check the daily fare cap before buying a travel pass. Many European cities have a daily spending cap on public transport, meaning once you've spent a certain amount, the rest of your journeys that day are free. In some cities, this works out to be almost the same price as a day pass, so it's worth comparing both options.
Match the pass to your itinerary. If all your sightseeing is packed into one or two days, only buy a 1-day or 2-day pass. There's no point paying for a longer pass if you won't use it.
Go digital where possible. Many cities now offer digital transport passes through their official apps, saving you from buying a physical card. For example, in Paris you can buy your Navigo pass through the Île-de-France Mobilités app, which also saves you the physical card fee.
Don't forget to validate your ticket or travel pass where required. In some European countries, simply buying a ticket isn't enough. Before boarding, you may need to validate it by tapping your travel pass or paper ticket on the station's validation machine. If you skip this step, you could still receive a fine even though you've paid for your journey. If you're unsure, look for signs at the station or ask a member of staff. [ The fine usually doesn’t happen unless they check for your tickets but if they do and your ticket isn’t validated you might receive a fine ]
How I Book Accommodations
Whenever I'm looking for accommodation, I actually start on Google Maps rather than a booking website. I enter my destination, select my check-in and check-out dates, set my maximum budget, and then browse the hotels directly on the map. I find this much easier because I can immediately see where everything is located in relation to public transport and the attractions I want to visit. One of my favourite things about using Google Maps is that it compares prices from multiple booking websites in one place. Instead of opening five different tabs, I can quickly see which website is offering the best deal.
Once I've found a hotel I like, I simply click on it to compare prices across the different booking websites and book through whichever one offers the best deal. It only takes a few seconds and can sometimes save a surprising amount of money.
One thing I've learnt from travelling is that I'd much rather spend money on experiences or public transport than on an overpriced city-centre hotel. Hotels next to major attractions can easily cost £100–£200 more per night, and in my opinion, they're rarely worth the premium. Instead, I focus on one thing: good public transport. As long as my accommodation is within a short walk of a metro, train or bus stop, I'm happy staying around 30 minutes from the city centre in smaller cities like Rome or up to 40 minutes away in larger cities such as Paris or Madrid. Sometimes decent three star hotels in the city center also cost a lot less than 4 stars in the same area.
Personally, once I leave my hotel in the morning, I'm usually out exploring until the evening. My accommodation is mainly somewhere to sleep, shower and recharge before heading out again. Unless you're planning to spend a day relaxing at the hotel or returning several times throughout the day, I don't think there's much value in paying a premium just to be closer to the main attractions.
I'd much rather save that money and spend it on great food, experiences or even another trip.
Booking Sightseeing Tickets
One of the easiest ways to save money while travelling is to book attraction tickets through the official website whenever possible. Before paying, always check whether they offer student, youth or under-25 discounts. You'd be surprised how many attractions across Europe do, and the savings can add up quickly over a trip.
One thing I cannot stress enough is don't leave booking until the last minute, especially during peak season. Popular attractions such as the Colosseum, the Vatican Museums and the Eiffel Tower often sell out weeks in advance. If you wait too long, your only options may be to miss out completely or pay significantly more through third-party websites.
Whenever possible, avoid booking through resellers such as GetYourGuide or Viator. While they're convenient, they often charge a markup for exactly the same ticket you could have bought directly from the attraction. If the official tickets are sold out, then a reseller may be your only option, but I always check the official website first. These are great when you’re trying to book experiences and tours, not visiting and official monument.
As I mentioned in the previous chapter, city passes can sometimes be a great alternative if official tickets have sold out. Depending on your itinerary, they can include attraction entry as well as public transport, making them better value than buying expensive resale tickets.
Look Beyond Standard Sightseeing Tickets
Not every attraction has to be a traditional tourist ticket.
For example, if you're planning a Seine River cruise in Paris, compare the price with the Batobus Pass. I found it to be much better value because it worked as both a sightseeing cruise and a way of travelling around the city, allowing me to hop on and off throughout the day.
If you're visiting the Eiffel Tower, consider buying a ticket for the stairs instead of taking the lift all the way to the top. It's noticeably cheaper, and you'll still enjoy fantastic views of Paris.
Check What's Actually Free
One of the biggest mistakes I see people make is paying for attractions that are actually free.
Many famous landmarks across Europe either offer completely free entry or only require a free reservation. For example, Notre-Dame Cathedral is free to visit with a reservation, while St. Peter's Basilica in Vatican City is completely free to enter.
Unfortunately, you'll sometimes come across websites; or even people standing outside attractions, trying to sell tickets for places that don't actually require one. Before paying for anything, spend two minutes checking the official website. It could save you money and help you avoid unnecessary markups or scams.
Money-Saving Tips I Wish I Knew Before Travelling Europe
🚉 Transport
Check whether airport transport is included in your travel pass.
Some city passes include travel to and from the airport, while others don't. Knowing this beforehand can help you decide whether a pass is actually worth buying.
Research airport transport before booking an airport transfer. Airport shuttle companies are convenient, but they're not always the cheapest option. Many cities have local buses or trains that connect the airport to the city centre for a fraction of the price. For example, in Iceland, I found the local public buses much cheaper than the Flybus while still getting me to Reykjavík.
Don't overlook buses. Most tourists automatically head for the metro, but buses often stop much closer to attractions and let you enjoy the city while you're travelling.
🥐Food & Drinks
Carry a reusable water bottle. Italy has free drinking water fountains all over the place, and I also found them in parts of Spain. If you can't find one, many cafés and restaurants will happily refill your bottle if you ask politely.
Don't eat right outside major tourist attractions. Walk just 5–10 minutes away and you'll usually find better food at much more reasonable prices.
Shop at local supermarkets. If you're looking for a quick breakfast, lunch or snack, supermarkets are often much cheaper than cafés or tourist shops. Many sell ready-made sandwiches, salads, pastries and meal deals that are perfect if you're sightseeing all day.
Not all supermarkets are priced the same. Before buying anything, check which supermarket chains are considered budget-friendly in the country you're visiting. For example, in Iceland, I found Bónus to be much cheaper than some of the other supermarkets. I genuinely couldn't believe the price difference, something as simple as a coffee cost noticeably less there. Likewise, in France, supermarkets such as Monoprix, Carrefour City and Franprix often have affordable meal deals, sandwiches, pasta salads and drinks that make for a much cheaper lunch than eating near the main tourist attractions.
Mix up your meals. You don't need to eat at a sit-down restaurant every time. I like alternating between supermarkets, cafés, fast food and nicer restaurants. Spending less on a couple of meals means I can enjoy a really nice dinner later without blowing my budget.
Read reviews written by locals. Translate a few Google Maps reviews written in the local language. I often find they're more honest than tourist reviews and can help you avoid overpriced tourist traps.
💰 Money
Use a travel-friendly card. Before travelling, check whether your bank charges foreign transaction or currency conversion fees. Those small charges can add up surprisingly quickly.
Compare travel cards available in your country. Travellers from India often use cards like Niyo Global, Scapia while many people in the UK and Europe use Revolut, Monzo. Compare the fees and features before you travel to see which works best for you.
Always pay in the local currency. If you're given the option to pay in your home currency or the local currency, always choose the local currency. Your bank or travel card will usually give you a much better exchange rate.
Carry a backup payment method. Keep a second bank card or a small amount of cash with you in case your main card is lost, blocked or isn't accepted.
Don't rely on cash. Most European countries are highly card-friendly, and throughout my trips I rarely needed cash. I still recommend carrying a small amount for emergencies, but you'll usually be able to pay by card almost everywhere.
📍 Planning
Pin everywhere you want to visit on Google Maps before your trip. Seeing everything on a map makes it much easier to group nearby attractions together, saving both time and transport costs.
Leave room for spontaneous exploring. Some of my favourite cafés, viewpoints and hidden streets weren't on my itinerary—I found them simply by wandering around. Don't feel like every minute of your trip has to be planned.
🎁 Souvenirs
Don't buy souvenirs at the attraction itself. Walk a few streets away and you'll often find the exact same magnets, keyrings and gifts for much less.
I hope this guide helps you save money and plan your own trip with confidence. If you found it useful, I'd love to see where you go, feel free to tag me on social media or share your favourite tips and experiences.



Comments
Post a Comment